Wednesday, December 30, 2009

52 Weeks, Week 48

 

52 Weeks to Family Preparedness for Two

Week 48


"Every father and mother are the family's storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency." (James E. Faust, Ensign May 1986)


Food Storage and Preparedness Challenge Of The Week:


Food Storage Purchase 8 Cans of Vegetables


Extra Item Purchase 30 lbs. Rice


Family Prep: Do you know where your 72-hour evacuation kit is? Can you get to it or are there things in the way. If you have it in a shed or garage can you get to it without tripping over something else? Maybe move the kits to a new location. If they are in the coat closet are coats and other items such as vacuums in the way. If you were in a hurry to get away these items may keep you or your family from retrieving them. This could cause much harm and fear. Move the kits to a better location. Items like sleeping bags and pads, water containers, cooking supplies, and lighting supplies should be kept in a central location. This should be in an easily accessible location away from the main house.


Spiritual Preparedness: My sincere counsel to you today is to recommit yourselves to these two basic practices that have been the source of so many blessings.... Never let a day go by without holding family prayer and family scripture study. Put this, the Lord's program, to the test and see if it does not bless your home with greater peace, hope, love, and faith. I promise you that daily family prayer and scripture study will build within the walls of your home a security and bonding that will enrich your lives and prepare your families to meet the challenges of today and the eternities to come. L. Tom Perry



"I Would if I Could, But..." by Jim Brinkerhoff


Dry Packing

I would if I could, but I don't like it.

I would if I could, but I haven't the time.

I would if I could, but my storage is limited.

Emergency Preparedness

I would if I could, but I will get ready next week.

I would if I could, but it's all in my attic.

I would if I could, but I am tired of preparing–this is the nineties.

Food Storage

I would if I could, but I have had it over the years, and it is all spoiled now.

I would if I could, but I have no room to store things as it is now.

I would if I could, but nothing will happen–this is modern days.

72-hour Preparations

I would if I could, but I already memorized the Holiday Inn's 800 number.

I would if I could, but I will just call my home teacher.

I would if I could, but nothing will happen that I can't handle.


Are you saying these same things?

I could add more that I have heard over the years..... it is time we re-evaluate our priorities.


This coming year many opportunities will arise to help ourselves and our families become better prepared. Lets make the effort to do so.


Then, when hard times fall upon us, as they most assuredly will, we shall not fear.






0 comments: