Thursday, April 7, 2011

At the Cannery

Well, with price increases and food shortages being shouted throughout the world right now, we decided that we would head to the LDS Cannery in Lethbridge, and add to our already growing food storage. We specifically wanted to add lots more beans to our supply. They only carry three types of beans there: black, white, and pinto. They were completely out of black beans, only had 7 bags of white beans left, and not very many pinto left also. Now a few months ago, when I was in this same building, they had palates full of them stacked high on their shelves. For them to be out, was kind of scary to me, so needless to say, I bought every bean they would sell me. My favorite beans are the black beans, and I didn't get any of them.............but I will when they get some more in. They said they were expecting a couple of truck loads in soon, but there has been such a huge demand of certain items, that they are having a tough time keeping up with it. Apparently it is a common theme throughout most of the LDS storehouses that they can't keep up with the demand. So perhaps people are starting to wake up to the importance of what is going on out there in this rough old world.

Another thought, I have had many people tell me that they aren't noticing the prices going up at the stores, so here is what I want to tell you, don't check the prices, but check the size of the box or package, because the prices are staying about the same, but the quantity is definitely not. I compared a box of cereal today, with one that was bought about six months ago. The price was the same for sure, but the size of the box today said 595 g of cereal, and the older one was 950 g. The exact same packaging, with the label "Family Size" and everything, but almost half of the amount in the box. They are pretty tricky! So watch what you are buying.......they are attempting to deceive us!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Good point!! I also noticed the same thing with fruits and vegetables. Some staying the same prices but the quality???? Yuck!! It's horrible. So to me the prices are expensive. When you look for the "good quality stuff" yikes....way more money....and few and far in between.

Yikes to your bean search! Truly scary for sure.

Unknown said...

I've been noticing that with a lot of foods. Too many people look at price alone and don't pay attention to unit prices.