Sunday, March 20, 2011

Who, What, When, Where, and Why of Food Storage

I have been planning my class for this week,  "Love Your Food Storage."  Been doing alot of thinking about it lately, and wondering how does one really learn to love their food storage and it all comes down to "Use It!"  If you use it on a regular basis, you will learn to love it.  I have really learned to love food storage.  It is kind of like any other principle of the Gospel or of the Lord, if you put it into practise, you will gain a testimony of it and learn to love it.
 
I want to talk today about the 5 W's of food storage......who, what, when, where, and why!
 
WHO should store food?  Absolutely all of us!  If there is any doubt in your mind, just take a look around in the world today and the calamities, wars, and commotion that is going on is absolutely every place that you look.  I think that the WHO of food storage, is each of us, and we have that responsibility to take care of ourselves and our families.  Your neighbor down the street does not need to store food for you.  Your government officials do not need to store food for you.  Your church does not need to store food for you.  YOU NEED TO STORE FOOD FOR YOU!!!
 
WHAT should we store?  http://providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html  This link will take you to our church site of provident living.  If you follow the links it will give you alot of information on the W's of food storage.  Here it talks about water storage, 3 month supply, long term storage, and links to other things like financial reserves and things like that.  For our three month supply, it should be foods that we are familiar with and that are easy to prepare.  Foods that will keep our normal diet as close to the same as possible.  If we have a disaster of some sort, it is important to keep our routine as close to normal as possible.  If in case of food shortages, pandemics, or other crisis situations, we will have the assurance that our families will have a normal diet of food in our homes, for at least three months.  For longer term storage items, we should store at least a one year supply of foods that will sustain life.  This will include things like wheat, beans, grains, other legumes, sugars, salt, powdered milk, and oil.  These are the basics, and anything else added to it is bonus, and will only make the experience more pleasant.  Again, go to the site to find out more details, or do a search on the blog here.
 
WHEN should we store it........well the prophets have been telling us to store food for longer term use, for over 100 years now.  I think that it is about time that we start right NOW.  I have a personal feeling that we have a short window of opportunity left to get our homes in order, including food storage, and that window is fast closing.  With the natural disasters, famines, crop failures, economic uncertainties, and so on, I feel that we do not have a large window of opportunity to take our leisure time to do this.  It is just my opinion and feelings, but I feel it keenly.  Do it now and do it quick. 
 
WHERE should we store it...........well, I think that we should store it in every available nook and cranny in our homes that is available.  Buckets and boxes can fit nicely under beds, and in many cases can even replace a bed frame.  There is alot of wasted space in closets that could be used for storing things.  I think the reality of it is, if we have the desire to follow the prophets and store food, we will find places to put it.  I read a quote once and unfortunately I cannot find it again, but it was by Wilford Woodruff who said that if we could see what he sees, we would pile our food storage in the middle of the room and walk around it.  He was saying this in reference to those who say that they have no storage space available.  I think it is rather important, and not having space to store it, will not be an excuse that will cut it in the end. 
 
WHY do we need to store food.........well I think that should be fairly obvious.  Really in our world today, how can one say that there is no need for food storage, and how can one think that our government or our church or family or friends will take care of us in any disaster situation.  Because really our own salvation comes down to you and me, and we can rely on nobody but ourselves.  Personally I never want to be in the situation that I have to tell one of my grandchildren, that Grandma has no food in the house, sorry.  I never want to see the look in their eyes of hunger.  If I can control that one thing, then I can feel like I can rely on the Lord to fill in the other gaps that I cannot fill in.  We have been commanded to store it, we have been warned time and time again of the things that we will face, and we need to have faith that if we keep this commandment, we will be blessed because of it.  FAITH!
 
I will post more about my class at the end of the week, and hopefully it will help you to learn to love your food storage too!  We know all about it, so now we just need to learn to love everything about it.
 
 
 

0 comments: