Thursday, August 21, 2014

What is an expert?

What do we consider an expert in the field of prepping?  You know it is funny sometimes, how many people will call me and ask me the most random questions that have to do with preparedness or food storage.  I certainly don't mind, as it kind of makes me feel like I am an expert in that field. Do I know everything there is to know?  Nope, but I try, and if I don't know an answer, I know where to go to look it up and find out that answer.

I have written a book, which I think is pretty good.  This book walks a person through their preparedness
Personal Preparedness Portfolio
categories step by step and offers suggestions and helps to get you prepared for each different area of preparedness that you could need in your home.  It also teaches some self reliance principles of food storage and finding the skills necessary to not have to rely on people if something happens, but to be able to rely on yourself.  All in all it teaches emergency preparedness, short term self reliance (3 months), and long term self reliance - one year.  I have added checklists for many things, and turned it into a workbook of sorts.  I put years worth of studying and learning into this book, so I guess that makes me an expert in this area.  You can click on the picture and it will take  you to my Amazon page if you are interested in ordering it.

Not only have I written this book, but I have taught many, many classes on this subject, so there has been many many hours of research that has gone into teaching classes.  That also makes me the expert.

Even though these things can make someone an expert in their field, there are always people who know more, do more, and have more knowledge.  I personally don't consider myself an expert in any particular area.  I still do research almost daily in the area of preparedness and food storage.  I still rely on knowledge from others to keep me informed on various happenings in the world.  I still often come across something that I don't know the answer to, and then I go to the computer to figure it out.

I think that is the key right there.  Find the answer and solve the problem.  I think that is what makes someone expert in any field.  If you know where to look up the answers, and really take time to learn the answers, then you are on your way to being an expert in that area.  If you can teach a class on the subject, then you will  be considered an expert in the area.  And definitely, if you can write a book sharing your knowledge, you will be considered an expert in the area, as the time that goes into writing a book is huge.

All of my books so far!
If you want to be an expert in any particular area, regardless of what it is, write down a list of questions that are most important to that area.  The questions should cover any problem or question that someone might want to know about in that subject.  Then go ahead to find the answers to solve the problems.  Write about them - perhaps on a blog, or a book, or even just keep your own notebook.  Teach them to someone - that's where keeping a blog would come in handy, since on your blog you can share what you are learning.  Teaching really is the best way to learn yourself.  Lastly, be willing to teach a class, answer questions, make a video, or write a book.  People will then consider you an expert in your field.  It will come naturally as you learn more information.

I am still learning.  I don't believe it ever ends.  I have several areas of knowledge in my life that I would love to be an expert in, but it takes a lot of work and time.  I love working with herbs.  I would love to be an expert that people could count on when it comes to herbal medicine or herbal therapies.  I still have a long way to go because the field is so extensive.  I am loving the journey, and I believe that is what is most important, LOVE what you are doing.  The knowledge will come if you don't quit!

Here is a teaser for you as well.  It is the workbook portion of the Personal Preparedness Portfolio.  If you would like the information that goes along with this, you will have to follow the link and purchase the book.  But I feel strongly enough about people getting prepared, that I want to offer this for free.  Hopefully you will make use of it to help your family.  Just click on the link above and get your free pdf workbook that goes along with the Personal Preparedness Portfolio.

0 comments: