Monday, November 23, 2015

Beans for Fat substitutions

Beans are so versatile, you can actually use them to replace some of the fat, to almost all of it, in your baking recipes.  My rule is I usually will replace about half of my oil or fat in any given recipe.  I have tried to replace it all, and sometimes I end up with dry - whatever - I am making.  But half beans and half butter or oil is a good bet.

Make sure your beans are cooked to soft and then puree them well in a blender.  If they are too dry, add a bit of water to your puree.

Take notice of the color of the item you are baking.  If the overall color is white, you will want to use white beans.  If you are making something chocolate, you can get away with brown or black beans pureed.  White mashed beans, however, can be used in pretty much anything, as they will blend right in and hide well.

If your recipe calls for oil, then use the equivalent of half your oil and substituted it for your pureed beans.  Same goes for butter or margarine, puree the beans or mash them well, and switch half your butter for beans.

Beans are cheaper than oils, and especially butter, it is much healthier, and it adds a great taste to your baking.  Try it!  You may even start to like it.

Be brave.....  I dare you!

0 comments: