Saturday, November 21, 2015

Beans - The Magical Food in so Many Ways

I did a vegetarian cooking information class today, and for those of you who attended it and want more information on cooking with beans instead of meat, I decided to repost here a more consolidated version of some of my other posts here on this site, and in one of my books.

I have been a vegetarian for pretty close to 27 years.  In that time, I have learned a few things....

Beans / legumes are way cheaper than meat - for example, let me do a little bit of math for you.
The average cost of feeding a family of 4 - 6 people, just in buying hamburger (cheap meat) is probably about $7 ish per meal.  Roast, steak, chops, chicken, etc. are all more expensive than that.  Let's say you only use $7 per meal and you only eat one meal with meat per day, that totals up to $2555 spent each year just eating one meal per day of cheaper meat, and totally not healthy.

I can purchase a 25 lb bag of beans for around $20.  I guess that I can easily get 70 meals at least, out of this bag of beans.  Because I use beans in baking and other things too, I figure I could use about 6 bags of beans per year.  Which total will come to about $120.

Difference of $2435 just because you used beans for one meal a day instead of hamburger.  Now I know it will be different for each of you and what you are used to eating.  Maybe you only want to replace meat for one or two meals a week.  Maybe you want to get rid of it all together.  It's up to you and what your family will tolerate.  But.....if you are looking for ways to save money on your groceries, this is definitely a way to make that happen.

Cooking with beans is actually quite satisfying as well.  It just takes a little bit more prep time, or being a little bit more organized in the kitchen.  There are several ways you can cook beans.

1.  Quick soak method.  Cover your beans with about three times as much water, bring them to a boil, and boil them for five minutes.  Remove them from the heat and let them stand, covered or not, as long as you need until you are ready to start cooking your meal.  I leave mine from morning until later in the day.  Drain the cooking water off and rinse them well.  Cover once again with water and bring to a boil again until they are soft and ready to use in your recipe.  Drain, rinse and use.

2.  Soak overnight method.  Cover them in 3 times as much water, soak them overnight or all day.  Drain and rinse well.  Cover with water again and bring to a boil and cook until soft.  Drain, rinse, and use in your recipe.

3.  Crockpot.  Cover with about 4 times as much water and turn on low for 4 - 6 hours until beans are tender.  Drain, rinse and use in recipe.

Once your beans are cooked, or pre soaked, either way, you can easily put some of them into containers or ziplocs and freeze them for other meals.  They will last in the fridge for several days as well to use in other meals.

I will post more on bean recipes, using bean flours, and other ways to cook with beans, here in the next several days.  I have lots to share, so keep watching.

I will share with you how to make and use bean flour, how to cook several kinds of beans at the same time, to get a variety in your meal, how to hide them in recipes like baking, and how to substitute some of the fat in your baking by using mashed beans.  Sounds delicious right?  Keep posted.

0 comments: