Thursday, January 14, 2016

Garden Seed Catalogues

https://www.richters.com/


I must confess to you - I get through the long winter by first getting through Christmas, then I think I only have two more months of cold left, I can handle it because the gardening catalogs start coming!  I know it is pretty pathetic right?  I love to browse through the garden seed catalogs page by page, reading the little
excerpts of the new seeds, circling the ones I want to order, making my lists of what I want from each catalog.

I feel like a kid all over again.  I remember each fall the Sears Christmas Catalog would come to our house, and each of us kids would go through page by page and claim what we want, circle it and point it out to mom.  We would each pick out our favorite bedroom that we would have if we could have any set.  It was kind of fun and helped us get through some long afternoons I am sure.

When we were at my sister's for Christmas Dinner this year, I must admit I was a bit jealous, because I have had a few small catalogs for garden seeds come, but she had this huge catalog that her friend bought and gifted her for Christmas.  Yes, being the nerd I am, I actually sat and read it for quite a bit of the afternoon, remarking on conversations and starting my own by some of the things that were in the catalog.

I am sure we all have these quirky things we like to do and mine is definitely garden catalogs and magazines.  One of my favorite gifts was a gardening magazine from someone.  I tell you, it keeps me going through the snow and cold.

Okay, so my point of all of this is - get your garden seeds ordered.  I know it is only mid January, but I tell you I have a feeling in my gut that tells me times are looking to be pretty rough for the coming year in more than a few ways, so get them ordered and have your supply of seeds on hand to grow your own veggies, even if you have to grow them in containers or small spots.  Get them and get prepared to grow them.

Remember if you are interested in doing any kind of seed saving, or in other words, growing stuff next year from this years seeds, make sure you order heirloom seeds, not hybrid sees.  Heirloom seeds are the only kind of seeds that will grow seed from produce.  Hybrid seeds may offer great produce or a bountiful harvest, but you can not save seeds from year to year and use them.  Every catalog will tell you which seeds are heirloom or not.

Here are a few links that will take you to some good heirloom seeds places online.

Heirloom Seeds

Heritage Harvest Seed

West Coast Seeds

And from there, I say - just google heirloom seeds, and if you can, your specific location and you will find things close to you.

Again, get your seeds!  Things are looking pretty rough out there in the world so we need to get our houses in order!  I will talk more about that next time.








0 comments: