Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Preparedness Library

Today I thought I might talk a bit about building your preparedness library.  First off, my disclaimer, I am a book fanatic!  I love books of any shape, size, genre (well almost all genres), you get the picture.

a very very small collection of a few of my books
I think it is of utmost importance that we gather any and all kinds of preparedness books we can that will help us learn and understand more.  I know you think, well I save all of my stuff on the computer, and I can always google what I need to know when the time comes.  Wrong answers!  If your power is out, you won't have a computer, and there are dozens of scenarios that could cause your power to be out, so never count on your computer to show you how to do something in case of.....  That is just a bad plan.

Your preparedness library should include many different types of books.  Of course books on being prepared, like cooking with beans, homesteading principles, food storage, emergency preparedness, and that sort of thing.  It should also include multiple recipe books, with your favorite recipes tagged in them.  It should include home canning and food preservation books.  It should include alternate cooking method books, like dutch oven cooking.  How about things like growing a garden, raising chickens, building an outhouse, etc?

Your library should include alternate health care ideas, like healing with herbs, and essential oils and first aid
alternate medicine books - I have many
ideas.  You never know when you will not have modern health care immediately available, and you will have to figure it out on your own, without the use of your computer!

Your library should include spiritual uplifting books.  Trust me when times get tough, we are going to need to have some positive uplifting spiritual books to get us through.  Heck, forget when times get tough, we need them now!

Your library should have some educational resources, especially if you have children.  For any type of an extended disaster, you will want to continue on with some sort of normalcy, which includes education for your children, or grandchildren.

In my library, I have binders full of information that I have gathered from various sites and sources, and have organized it so that in a pinch, I could find what I need.  I have even created my own books, mostly for my own information, like my dehydrated meals recipes that I can have ready and just add to boiling water to have an instant meal.   

If you don't know what you would do in a disaster situation, find a good book, read it, mark it up and add it to your library.  I firmly believe that our libraries will save our lives some day.  And though I absolutely love Google, he is often my best friend, he WILL NOT be around when the time comes to desperately need him, so use him now, download, print, organize whatever you need, and don't count on him to come to your rescue, because as much as he would like to help you, and as much as we will desperately miss him, he will not be able to help us no matter how much we beg and plead!

It is all up to us.  Create your library of resources, including good novels for some entertainment and education, and you will be set.

0 comments: